Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sat, Apr 28 - Day 3

745AM: Wake-up. My alarm clock was set for 8AM but I woke up before-hand and couldn't get back to sleep. Tough Mudder race day! I packed my bag, along with a bunch of paleo-friendly snacks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5HdPM_QuE

9AM: A few spoonfuls of almond butter and a banana. Sipping on more coconut water.

1030AM: Scrambled eggs (I made in the morning) and a few pieces of deli meat (turkey and ham). These were purchased at a rest stop on the way to the Poconos, so not super high quality here.

1215PM: Right before racetime, I eat 2/3 of a cashew blueberry vanilla kind bar. My teammates eat the other 1/3. =) I sip on a lot of water.

1240PM: Our start time. We take the teammwork pledge. .. and our race begins! Hoo-rah.

220PM: (Approx timing) I keep rolling my left ankle and am thirsty and hungry. I pop a few of the fruit snack energy things at a water stop. I also have half a banana.

340PM: We complete all 26 obstacles and essentially ran all 12 miles of the course (despite a few very, very steep hills). The very best compliment we could have received at the end of the race. .. "Now that, looks like a team!" After every obstacle and as we crossed the finish line, Aaron yelled "Wharticus" and we yelled back "Maximus" 3xs. It was awesome. But yes, the testosterone levels were high!

4PM: I eat another half of a banana (I think) but am absolutely freezing from the last couple of obstacles. We go and get changed. .. and I can barely move my fingers. It reminds me of the English Channel swim!

430PM: I eat two all natural fruit sticks (one apricot and one strawberry) that I bought from Trader Joe's. They could not have tasted better. We then go get some warm food. .. Trying to keep somewhat paleo (but admittedly not doing a great job), I eat a hot dog without the bun and some eggplant fries (fried eggplant strips) and a handful of french fries. At this point, I couldn't help it. MMMMmmm, salt!

6PM: I'm still hungry but don't want to totally ruin my dinner. On our way home from the Poconos, we stop at the rest stop again. I get a chamomile tea from Starbucks (yay for warmth) and have some dried mango I brought along with me.

8PM: Our victory dinner! We have dinner at http://www.brauhausschmitz.com/ - if I knew this German hall/restaurant existed, I would have brought Alex's parents here! It was awesome. I did not imbibe in the beer drinking BUT, I did not eat the most paleo-friendly meal. Oops. Again with the fried (my downfall), we had fried saukraut balls for an appetizer and I definitely ate 2. I did not have the flatbreads, but as you can see, my meal was vienershnitzel, which is.. . yup, you guessed it, fried! Also definitely not as good as my mom's milanesa, might I add. The side of saurkraut and bacon was yummy, however. There was a mysterious white-ish looking dressing on my side salad. I didn't bother asking the waitress, as she was a little over-whelmed with our crew of 15!

1030PM: I got home and took a glorious, hot shower. It felt amazing. I also saw my battle wounds, up close and personal. Yikes.

All thanks to this course: http://toughmudder.com/events/pennsylvania-2012/
Was it worth it? Hoo-rah. .. YES!

12AM: Fell asleep around midnight, after re-gailing all the stories and obstacles of the race to Alex. An awesome way to finish off my Wharton journey with a fantastic team and a bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment